Home 3d printers are incredible machines but they have some limitations. Sometimes you just need some extra tools and capabilities to finish your project. You may want to expand your tool options and experiment with wood carving, making your own milled PCBs for electronics projects or do some metal machining. BoXZY may be the type of machine you will need since it is a multitool with easily replaceable CNC mill, 3D printer and laser engraver / cutter tool heads. Additionally to the tool changing ability it has high precision with 4 micron resolution, sturdy full aluminum frame and high power due its use of industrial ballscrews.
Here is the presentation video:
If you need more detailed description of milling and laser engraving here is the overview :
BoXZY mills complex shapes in brass, aluminum, plastics, and hardwoods. You can shape almost any material you can source when you couple BoXZY with its quick change mill. BoXZY cuts rapidly through soft metals and hard woods, and BoXZY comes with a solid aluminum jig plate. Simply, pull off the magnetically coupled 3D print platform to expose the pre-drilled fixture plate and attach your spoil board, fixture plate or clamps.
The 2000mW laser engraver slices through balsa and other thin woods eagerly, and will engrave photos on hardwood, leather, and plastic with incredible accuracy. For precision nothing compares: there are few methods precise enough to render text, images, and complex design files with such fidelity as a laser engraver.
Here are the BoXZY technical specifications from the Kickstarter page:
- Quick-change attachments. Rapidly switch CNC milling attachment, laser cutter/engraver, and 3D printer. Create with more materials in more ways–or do more on the same build. BoXZY is an arsenal of creation.
- All major components are CNC milled from solid billets of aluminum.
- The body is Quarter-inch thick aluminum. BoXZY defies the apocalypse.
- Ballscrew actuation. Industrial ballscrews actuate all 3 axes. BoXZY is in control.
- 4 Micron resolution. BoXZY is precise.
- No assembly, no programming. BoXZY is complete.
- 935 watt (1.25hp) CNC milling capacity. BoXZY is powerful.
- Adjustable CNC milling speeds anywhere between 10,000 and 30,000 RPM. BoXZY is flexible.
- USB slot. BoXZY’s has the hook up.
- Fully Expandable Electronics: So you can build your own attachments. BoXZY is Hackable.
- 2000 mW laser, 445 nm laser. BoXZY is so sci-fi.
- 3D Print in many kinds of filament: PLA, PVA, Ninja-flex, ABS, and even Nylon with our high temperature enclosure kit.
- CNC Mill almost anything: aluminum, hardwoods, acrylic, Delrin, ABS, Renshape, machinable wax, and yes, even some steel alloys.
You can see more at BoXZY KS campaign page:
or on the company page: http://www.boxzy.com/
At this moment BoXZY KS campaign has 205 backers that pledged $340,750 of $50,000 goal with 26 more days to go. Great success for the team and their product!
In my personal opinion multitool machines could become dominant form of home digital fabrication devices especially in home workshop environment since they offer so much more capabilities.
Will you get one?